Sunday 2 January 2011

What is PCOS?

I decided to do this blog as a frank and honest as I could and I cant really do that if you dont understand fully what is wrong with my body.
If your reading this you may already know. Just incase there is someone out there reading this who dosent really know or knows some but not a lot and would like to know I will inform you a little.
**I am not a doctor - nor do I think I am, What I know is based on nights upon nights of internet research/ talking to lovely women on my mummy fourm and what my own OBGYN has told me.
If you think you could have PCOS please go to your Dr as they know a lot more then a woman at a keyboard.**


"Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition in which women typically have a number of small cysts around the edge of their ovaries (polycystic ovaries). They also have one or more additional symptoms.

Some symtoms include..

* absent or irregular periods

* infertility - you need to ovulate to become pregnant and you may not be ovulating regularly or at all
* obesity or being overweight

* excess hair (hirsutism) on your face, around your nipples or on your lower abdomen

* thinning of the hair on top of your head

* acne"
Personally for me, I suffer from; absent or irregular periods, infertility, obesity, excess hair and i have mild acne.
Since finding out I have PCOS I have lost 2.5st. Its not a very easy battle as women with PCOS genrally put on weight a lot easier then women who dont. I have changed my diet in so many ways.
I try and eat as healthy as possible although I do allow my self some treats. I am following the weight watchers programme and doing regular exercieses.
I have cut out white carbs from my diet apart from allowing my self potatoes a couple of times a week.
My white bread has been changed to wholegrain bread.
White pasta has been changed to brown pasta
White rice has also been swapped for brown rice.
Once they was alliminated from my diet I didnt feel as bloated or as lathargic.

No comments:

Post a Comment