Friday 21 January 2011

Totally Disapointed.

I feel incredibly let down by this country's NHS.
Yesterday at about 8am I stated getting really bad pains in my left side. I took some painkillers hoping it would reduce the pain. It hardly touched the pain. By 11 o'clock I couldnt take anymore and asked my friends for advice.
I ended up calling NHS direct.
The nurse on the end of the phone couldnt have been more helpfull. I told him about us TTC, That I had PCOS, That my last AF was in January but I knew I couldnt be pregnant. In the end he decided my best port of call was to go straight to A&E to be checked out just to rule out an eptopic pregnancy.
So I got my self sorted while Gary got Mia sorted. We dropped Mia off at my mums as we didnt really want to take her with us incase we would be there for a long time.
We get to A&E, I give them my name and everything and we are told to wait.
According to the TV the waiting time was 3 hours. At our A&E you have to see a triage nurse before you can even see a Dr.
After about 15 minutes I am called through to the triage nurse. She askes my name, DOB, What is wrong with me... I tell her, I have really bad pains in my left side, I have PCOS, we have been TTC for 2 years, My last AF was in December, I know I am not pregnant as I dont 'feel' pregnant. She asked me why I had not contacted my GP 1st so I told her I didnt call them 1st as by the time the pain was too bad they wouldnt have had any appointments left for that day so i called NHS direct and they told me to go to A&E. She Hmm'ed and took my temp/bp and pulse and walked out of the room. Came back a few minutes later and said 'I have tried calling your GP but they are on their lunch at the moment, go home and ring them at half 1 and tell them you have to be seen today' That was my visit to A&E. I was being plamed off onto my GP.
I waited the hour and half for 1.30 to roll around. I rung my GP surgery and asked for an appointment to see the Dr. She told me they were all booked up for today. I told her I went to A&E and they told me I had to call my GP and tell them I had to be seen today. I get put on hold. She comes back a few minutes later telling me to come at 5.10 but be prepared to wait as they are busy.
I was taking 4 ibrophens at a time to ease the pain.
I went to the drs and at half 5 I finally got called through. Gary waited in the waiting room. I told her whats wrong, told her about the PCOS and the TTC. She asked if I had any other children. I told her yes I have a 3y.o little girl. She looks at me then tells me I cant have PCOS because I already have a little girl. I just said to her that Dr B has said himself by all reasoning my daughter should not even exsist.
Then the cheeky mare tells me if I start loosing weight it will increase my chances off fertility. I told her I have lost 2.5st on WW and I still have a long way to go. She told me to get on the bed and that she is going to exam me.
My god when she touched me it hurt like hell... I could have screamed! Thinking back now I should have. I dont know why I try and hide my pain - i think people think it cant be that bad as I am hiding it so well.
Anyway after a few prods and pokes she tells me she thinks I have a water infection and that she wants me to go and see the nurse to do a water sample.
So off i go and see the nurse. I get talking to this lovely nurse. I tell her about the PCOS and TTC and off her own back decieds its probally best to do a pregnancy test just incase. She also dipsticks for infection. She tells me unfortunatley the pregnancy test came back negitive but I have heard Dr B is really good and can do wonderfull things. Good Luck. She also tells me I dont have a water infection but I do have a small trace of blood in my water. Tells me to go back to the waiting room and wait for the dr to call me back through.
I get called back through to the Dr and she askes me what the nurse said. I told her there was no protein and that there was a small trace of blood in my urine. She hmm's and aaah's then says 'you dont have a water infection but i am giving you some antibiotics just incase as you could have one'. So somehow inbetween walking to from the Nurses office to the Dr's office I gained a water infection.
I have never felt so uncared for. I had been past from pillar to post. No one appeared to take me seriously. No one seemed concerned about the fact I had PCOS. Is it because I am young?
The NHS needs a total overhaul. Its disgusting.

2 comments:

  1. Emma, I hope you write a letter of complaint to some one because this is just disgusting! Assuming so much about you!
    I have found most Dr's when a woman goes in with a problem bellow her tummy they just assume it is a water infection! Which is stupid if there are no other signs, like needing to pee, hurting when you pee ect..

    If your still in pain go back to your GP again, and don't leave till they do something!

    The NHS is just a complete waste of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd have thought with it being a woman Dr she would have been a bit more considerate but not at all.

    I wouldnt be able to get an appointment with my GP today as they are normally full up by 9am.
    It really sucks balls.

    ReplyDelete