Saturday 15 January 2011

PCOS diet

As some women with PCOS know, One of the joys (note - sarcasm!) is the easy weight gain and the struggle to loose it.
Many women with PCOS also have insulin resistance, Where the body resists the effects of insulin and so produces more to compensates. This can lead to us craving sugary carbs, This unfortunately means its easy to put on weight and very hard to loose.
When I first went to my OBGYN I weighed in at 19st 4lb. I had no idea how my weight got so high. I was struggling to walk without my legs hurting. My Dr advised me to loose weight. I knew nothing on PCOS when I was first diagnosed apart from what I had read from friends with it and doing my own research. One of the things I found was that replacing my old diet of white bread, white pasta, white rice with wholegrain versions made a very big difference. Almost immediately noticed a change. I didn't feel bloated and my mood's changed.

I joined weight watchers as well (see previous post), I do believe that has been the biggest help for me. Right now I am down to 17st and the change is amazing. I walk for miles, I have new found energy.
If you don't want to join weight watchers or any other slimming club I would recommend calorie counting and tracking everything you eat down. Once you know you have to put it down you may find your making better choices.
Remember weight loss is not a fast and easy thing to achieve - especially with PCOS. Hard work and dedication is needed. Give it time and you WILL see results.
**As stated in previous posts I am not a Dr, I am not a medical professional. As always it is recommended you seek professional help before changing your diet drastically.**

2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about WW and PCOS, like how effective it could be against counting calories. So, you'll have to let me know!

    -Dez

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found it really effective. I have lost just over 2st on it, It would have been more but I lost the plot, then we lost Gary's grandma and then it was Christmas. I am back on track now.
    I normally post how I do on facebook but I will be making sure to update this as well.

    ReplyDelete